Do you wonder why sugar is bad for you? Or why high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is even worse for you? Do you know if HFCS is the same as sugar? The answers may surprise you. Fructose is poison. Plain white sugar is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. HFCS is fructose on steroids.
For so many years we, as a nation, have been fed a pack of lies by our government on the issues of health and nutrition. The truth is that low fat diets are not healthy, and they actually increase obesity because low fat products are typically loaded with hidden sugars. Sugar consumption, or more specifically fructose consumption, is the leading cause of obesity in adults and children. High blood pressure, Metabolic Syndrome, and a host of other diseases/problems are also directly related to high fructose/sugar consumption. The videos posted below do an excellent job of illustrating these truths.
In the first video, Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, debunks the cholesterol and saturated fat myths, and points his finger instead at the dangers of our excessively high sugar consumption. Sugar: The Bitter Truth is 90 minutes long and is well worth watching in its entirety, but if you don’t have the time to watch Dr. Lustig’s video, there is a shorter video by Underground Wellness that gives a very basic synapsis of Dr. Lustig’s presentation.
Sugar: The Bitter Truth
The Short Version
The Video Highlights:
- Fructose consumption from fruits and vegetables is about 15 grams per day.
- Consuming 16-24 grams of fructose per day is a reasonable amount.
- One teaspoon of granulated sugar equals 4 grams of sugar.
- Current adolescent consumption of fructose is 72.8 grams per day.
- Sucrose (table sugar) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose.
- Fructose consumption is the root cause of Metabolic Syndrome.
- Glucose is metabolized in the body efficiently. Fructose is not.
- Your body metabolizes fructose in a much different way from glucose. The entire burden of metabolizing fructose falls on your liver.
- The fatty acids created during fructose metabolism accumulate as fat droplets in your liver and skeletal muscle tissues, causing insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Insulin resistance is the primary cause of high blood pressure in most people.
- The metabolism of fructose by your liver creates a long list of waste products and toxins, including a large amount of uric acid, which drives up blood pressure and causes gout.
- Fiber is an essential nutrient.
- Glucose suppresses the hunger hormone ghrelin and stimulates leptin, which suppresses your appetite. Fructose has no effect on ghrelin and interferes with your brain’s communication with leptin, resulting in overeating.
- A strict Paleolithic diet (raw) will cure diabetes in seven days, because of all of the fiber.
After watching these videos, you will know why sugar is bad for you and you’ll be 100% convinced that dramatically reducing your sugar intake should be step one in any better health plan!
Dr. Mercola’s High-Blood-Pressure-Special-Report.pdf
146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health by Nancy Appleton, Ph.D.
Sugar May Be Bad, But …Fructose Is Far More Deadly by Dr. Mercola
Further questions: What year did the obesity epidemic start? GMO factor in HFCS?
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a health care professional. NutriFitHQ disclaims all liability for any decisions made based on this information.