The internet has been scoured in search of the best food pyramid guidelines to follow. The search will continue, but for now it seems that the best option for most people is Dr. Mercola’s Food Pyramid for Optimal Health.
- It is simple.
- It does not eliminate dairy. However, does Dr. Mercola realize that raw, unpasteurized dairy is not available in the United States?
- It includes good fats at the base along with heavy vegetable consumption.
- It follows the fructose guidelines set forth by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology.
- It severely limits/eliminates grains.
- It is designed for weight loss (not everyone needs to lose weight, and in fact, for some weight loss is detrimental).
- It lacks in-depth specifics, but, to be fair, Dr. Mercola’s book Effortless Healing delves much deeper into his plan.